KN-01 at a Glance
Originated from: China (CSS-C-2 Silkworm), Soviet Union (P-15 Termit/Styx/SS-N-1)
Possessed by: North Korea
Class: Antiship Cruise Missile
Basing: Road-mobile, potentially sea- and air-launchable
Length: 7.36 m
Diameter: 760 mm
Launch weight: 3,000 kg
Payload: Single warhead, ~500 kg HE warhead
Propulsion: solid propellant boost motor, liquid propellant sustainer motor
Range: 110-160 km
The KN-01 is estimated to be 7.36 m in length, 760 mm wide, capable of carrying approximately a 50 kg high-explosive (HE) warhead, with an approximate range of 160 kilometers.1 Other reports suggest its range could be lower, at around 110 kilometers.2 Some reports have alleged that North Korea has made modifications to the missile to further improve this range, with the missile potentially capable of traveling up to 300 km, although these reports remain unsubstantiated. 3
North Korea has tested the cruise missile repeatedly. Between its first flight test in February 1993 and June 2007, it is estimated that the KN-01 was tested 10-15 times.4 Several tests have taken place since, from both the air and ground. Most recently, North Korea launched three KN-01s in June 2015.5 The missiles flew for around 26 minutes, to a range of 100 kilometers.
- John Schilling and Henry Kan, “The Future of North Korea’s Nuclear Delivery Systems,” US-Korea Institute at SAIS, April 2015, 24, http://38north.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NKNF_Delivery-Systems.pdf.
- “HY-2 improvement (AG-1/KN-01),” in IHS Jane’s Weapons: Strategic 2015-2016, ed. James C. O’Halloran (United Kingdom: IHS, 2015), 166-167.
- Kang Tae-jun, “North Korea extends range of KN01 anti-ship missile – media,” NK News, November 23, 2013, https://www.nknews.org/2013/11/north-korea-extends-range-of-kn01-anti-ship-missile-media
- “HY-2 improvement (AG-1/KN-01),” in IHS Jane’s Weapons: Strategic 2015-2016, ed. James C. O’Halloran (United Kingdom: IHS, 2015), 166-167
- “N. Korea Test-Fires Three Short-Range Missiles,” Defense News, June 14, 2015, http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/international/asia-pacific/2015/06/14/korea-test-fires-three-short-range-missiles/71210944/